Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Emelia Makes some Xian Friends

Emelia Barron
April 22, 2009

Today we went to the school that is located 2 hours away from our hotel in Xi’an. Each Pathways student was paired up with a student from the school. The school had about 6 flights of stairs. We had to go to the top floor. They offered us pickles and tomatoes. They performed many songs and a dance. Gabby and I had to go to the bathroom so we asked our buddies to show us where it was. They brought us all over the school up and down many flights of stairs. We finally found the bathroom and the stalls had no doors. It was disgusting. Gabby held a jacket in front of the stall so no one could see and then we switched. Then our buddies brought us to a classroom on the bottom floor. There we sat in and listened to the teacher. The teacher asked us about the NBA and their players. Then they made us sing our national anthem. After, they sang their national anthem. Then we had lunch. For lunch we had rice, pork and a bun thing. I didn’t really like the lunch. The rice and the bun were good but I didn’t really like the pork. We ate lunch in a classroom. I sat with my buddy, Nicole and her buddy, and Alliyah. We gave them our pencils and stickers. There were a group of guys in the back of the classroom that wanted to meet me. My buddy brought me to them. I sat in between all of them. There, they gave me a tomato and drew me a picture. They asked me about where im from and they told me that I am very nice and pretty. It was kind of awkward because they tried talking to me but I couldn’t understand them so I asked Kathleen to help translate. After, I went to go and hang out with Nicole and her buddy. We gave them stickers and pencils. We showed them who Hannah Montana was but they didn’t know who she was. So we took out our ipods we let them listen. Then one of the boys gave me a notebook with lyrics to a love song in Chinese and a note that said, “please accept it. It’s our present. The best wishes for you”. I thanked them and said “dinguagua” but they laughed at me because I said it weird. Then we had to be back on the bus by 1:00. We said our goodbyes and we are now on the bus traveling to go to meet the Brookline students.

No comments:

Post a Comment