Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nicole and Emelia's Blog

Emelia’s Blog
April 18, 2009

Today I woke up at 6 am. I was the only one awake. Jason and Nicky went to the flag raising and they woke up at 4 am. We went to breakfast and we ate rice, fruit, noodles, toast/jam and kiwi juice. Today we went to the Summer Palace. Nicole and I sang Fergalicious on the bus ride. When we got to the summer palace, it was very crowded. We learned about Empress Cixi (Su Shi). While we were in the palace, we played hacky sack. The guy who was performing for us had really tight pants. We all attempted and I was really bad at it. I hit some girl in the face. Then we went to go see the marble boat that doesn’t sink because its not a real boat. We then went to go any buy ice cream. Its called Magnum and it was AMAZING!!!! Our pathways group was being circled by these pick pocketers. It was kind of scary. Then we went to go in line for the dragon boats. While we were waiting, people went up to Nicole to take pictures with her. Then we went on the boat. There were a lot of paddle boats and the people on them who waved at us. On the dragon boat I sat across from this little cute girl. She had pig tails and wore a little hat. Then we went to the pearl market. A women named Yoyo showed us how to open a pearl. I learned that there are about 20 pearls in each oyster. Nicole, Sivana and I all bought a black pearl necklace. Then we went out to lunch at a place called China Town –we just saw a wicked cool red dresss!!!!!!-anyways I saw next to Charlie and Maddie. For lunch we ate fish, tofu, duck. Charlie and Peter ate the fish eye. It was disguting but im eating one next time. Now we are on the bus and Nicole and I are listening to brad paisley and we see a lot of underwear stores. We are now on our way to the summer palace!!!!!!!! Soooooooo excited!!!!!!




Nicole Blog

Well Emelia has gone over pretty much everything so far about today, so im just going to give some general reactions to Beijing. Everything here is so, so big. All the buildings are Massive! This city is nothing like what I expected. One minute, you can be surrounded by skyscrapers, and the next minute you’ll be in a hutong area. The people aren’t as pushy as I thought they would be, but I either haven’t experienced the true crowds or I set my expectations too high, both are likely. Also, everybody here rides bikes; through cars, on highways, sideways, you name it. –cute dog out the window, I cant see it, but that’s what everyone is saying, just kidding- The drivers here are all super aggressive, I would be scared driving. They weave in and out, and there is a lot of horn honking.
Today at the Summer Palace, all these tourists kept taking pictures of our group, it was pretty funny. They would inch their way over to you and just smile. The group got pretty into posing for them. They loved it.
We just drove my a minority bus, and they waved to us, it was great. Now we are getting a lesson on unichs, so im going to turn my attention there. Haha


Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment